God has not called us to see through each other, but to see each other through. ~Author Unknown
How often do we stop to think about the needs of another? How often do we listen to the Spirit to reveal to us the name of someone who could benefit from a call, a visit, or simply a hug? Are we so consumed in our daily tasks that we cannot recognize those who may be struggling around us?
I have pondered these questions often throughout my life. When I pass a homeless man on the street do I give a thought to his needs? To his dire situation? Or do I turn my head because I am too busy or because I think I know him? My mother once taught me a beautiful lesson. I was twelve and she and I were on a mother daughter date, just the two of us, to a baseball game. As we approached the stadium my mother noticed a homeless man walking back and forth on the sidewalk across the street. I continued walking passed only to notice that my mother had stopped, was reaching into her purse, and digging out all of the change that she could find. I heard her apologize to the man for not having more, touch his shoulder, and say “God bless you”. As we walked away my mother didn’t say a word, the act was so innate within her. I was so touched not only by her generosity towards another but by the pure love that she showed a stranger in need. Perhaps the touch on the shoulder and the simple phrase “God bless you” would have been enough to sustain the man and provide him with a sense of hope. I think of this experience often and try to emulate my mother’s Christlike example. On another occasion my father taught me a beautiful lesson about compassion and Christlike love. I remember being a small child, eight years old maybe, and a family in our ward was struggling financially. My father, not being a member of the church, became aware of this need through my mother and he decided to act. Without hesitation he jumped up, put me in the car, and drove to the grocery store. We then spent the next hour or so running through the grocery store filling a few carts with what we thought that they might need. My dad put so much thought and effort into the grocery list, I was so impressed. The woman cried as we brought the groceries into her house, hugged us, and we left. My dad didn’t say anything on the way home which provided me with the chance to learn a lesson. My parents are beautiful people who have taught me a great deal from small and simple acts of kindness.
I have given a lot of thought to my life lately and to the struggles that I have faced, the friends who have pushed me through, and the miracles that have been wrought as a result of faith from others. I am deeply grateful for the people in my life who have showered me with love and thoughtfulness, who have reached out to me in my time of need or in my quite time of suffering. I am thankful for those friends that I have that are so in tune with the spirit that everything else falls into place. I am thankful to those strangers who have reached out to me when the stress of life is obviously worn on my face.
A beautiful family suffered a tragic loss this past week. Their son, a small six year old boy, was killed after stormy waters swept him from the arms of his father. The story and information about how you can donate to their cause can be found at the link below:
http://www.azfamily.com/home/Father-of-boy-swept-away-by-floodwater-talks-to-3TV-82556602.html
In these difficult financial times we might not be able to give any money but we can always give our thoughts, prayers, and hearts.
We can do no great things, only small things with great love. ~Mother Teresa
How often do we stop to think about the needs of another? How often do we listen to the Spirit to reveal to us the name of someone who could benefit from a call, a visit, or simply a hug? Are we so consumed in our daily tasks that we cannot recognize those who may be struggling around us?
I have pondered these questions often throughout my life. When I pass a homeless man on the street do I give a thought to his needs? To his dire situation? Or do I turn my head because I am too busy or because I think I know him? My mother once taught me a beautiful lesson. I was twelve and she and I were on a mother daughter date, just the two of us, to a baseball game. As we approached the stadium my mother noticed a homeless man walking back and forth on the sidewalk across the street. I continued walking passed only to notice that my mother had stopped, was reaching into her purse, and digging out all of the change that she could find. I heard her apologize to the man for not having more, touch his shoulder, and say “God bless you”. As we walked away my mother didn’t say a word, the act was so innate within her. I was so touched not only by her generosity towards another but by the pure love that she showed a stranger in need. Perhaps the touch on the shoulder and the simple phrase “God bless you” would have been enough to sustain the man and provide him with a sense of hope. I think of this experience often and try to emulate my mother’s Christlike example. On another occasion my father taught me a beautiful lesson about compassion and Christlike love. I remember being a small child, eight years old maybe, and a family in our ward was struggling financially. My father, not being a member of the church, became aware of this need through my mother and he decided to act. Without hesitation he jumped up, put me in the car, and drove to the grocery store. We then spent the next hour or so running through the grocery store filling a few carts with what we thought that they might need. My dad put so much thought and effort into the grocery list, I was so impressed. The woman cried as we brought the groceries into her house, hugged us, and we left. My dad didn’t say anything on the way home which provided me with the chance to learn a lesson. My parents are beautiful people who have taught me a great deal from small and simple acts of kindness.
I have given a lot of thought to my life lately and to the struggles that I have faced, the friends who have pushed me through, and the miracles that have been wrought as a result of faith from others. I am deeply grateful for the people in my life who have showered me with love and thoughtfulness, who have reached out to me in my time of need or in my quite time of suffering. I am thankful for those friends that I have that are so in tune with the spirit that everything else falls into place. I am thankful to those strangers who have reached out to me when the stress of life is obviously worn on my face.
A beautiful family suffered a tragic loss this past week. Their son, a small six year old boy, was killed after stormy waters swept him from the arms of his father. The story and information about how you can donate to their cause can be found at the link below:
http://www.azfamily.com/home/Father-of-boy-swept-away-by-floodwater-talks-to-3TV-82556602.html
In these difficult financial times we might not be able to give any money but we can always give our thoughts, prayers, and hearts.
We can do no great things, only small things with great love. ~Mother Teresa
No comments:
Post a Comment