Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Rescuers...

Did anyone see The Rescuers?


Long story short…two mice, united by membership in a rescuers society, team up to save a human girl from the clutches on an evil woman and her sketchy alligator. The important thing the note about this classic movie is the devotion that the society has to its members. The leaders of the society love the detectives, who come from all over the world, which is so far fetched but that's another story...

About a month ago Bryson and I encountered our first mouse. Thanks to my husband’s fearless courage, strategic planning, and clever crafting we were able to dispose of the mouse. It was quite a traumatic and emotional experience for me and I vowed that if I saw one more mouse I would move, if only temporarily to the hotel around the corner from my house. Lo and behold a month later my worst nightmare came true. Late one evening I slipped into my bed, exhausted from the day, curled up with my favorite blanket and pillow and drifted soundly to sleep. Bryson worked intensely on his homework for a few more hours until he finally decided it was time for bed. I felt him sit on the side of the bed ready to slip in between the sheets when suddenly everything stopped and I heard Bryson jump up. I shot out of bed only to hear the most horrible phrase “There is a mouse…and it’s bigger than the one before”. I momentarily freaked out but knew that I had to attempt to fall back asleep because of work the next morning. I was paranoid that the mouse would somehow escape Bryson and climb onto my bed, and as a result my uneasiness caused me to open my eyes every five minutes. This is the sequence of what I saw:

1:00am- Bryson crouching down silently calling the mouse

1:05am- Bryson opening my closet to scope out every crevasse of our bedroom

1:10am- Bryson entering our room with a bag of mouse traps, jar of peanut butter, block of cheese, knife, and paper plate

1:15am- Bryson intensely crafting approximately 20 mouse traps to place around our house

1:20am- Bryson carefully setting the traps

Ten minutes later Bryson climbs into bed and the following conversation follows:

K: Bryson did you get the mouse?

B: No, but I set 20 traps, we will have him in the morning

K: Bryson how can you honestly sleep tonight knowing that a mouse is roaming our house

B: Katie I can sleep because I have placed a very aromatic cheese in the traps that will attract the mice and kill them

K: what?

B: just don’t worry it is under control

K: Okay I trust you but I am going to be so mad if I see that thing in the morning roaming free

B: You won’t, if anything you will see him in a trap

K: Okay, I trust you.

Sure enough the next morning I awake to find a huge disgusting, dark brown mouse in a trap in Bryson’s closet. I freaked out, Bryson disposed of the mouse, and we were off to our daily destinations.

Later that evening Bryson and I were down in our basement doing laundry when suddenly we hear little noises within our wall. The following conversation took place:

B: Shh, listen, do you hear that?

K: Bryson what is that?

B: Shh, I think it’s a mouse or some mice

K: mice like plural? Like a family?

B: No not a family just a few mice, like baby mice

K: Bryson babies have parents so that makes a family

B: Shh, let me just find them…

(5 minutes of listening and looking)

B: We are good, I think that they are in the wall

K.: the wall…we are screwed, they are going to rise up and attack us for killing their friends

It was then that I realized what was happening and how our situation fit perfectly with The Rescuers. We killed the two lead mice and the rest of the society was coming after us to punish us for killing their best detectives. Shoot.

Instead of moving to the hotel around the corner I told Bryson that I would stick with him and help him fight off the mob of mice coming after us. I love my husband and his clever strategic brilliance. The 20 traps are still set and I have been proactive about looking for their points of entry. They will not win this war…

6 comments:

  1. aromatic cheese. mice families. hahahahahahaha. i am DYING LAUGHING. thank you. i love you. i hope he didn't use your muenster cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAH!!!! OH MAN! We are rooting and praying for you guys!!! We love you!!!!

    There are so many cockroaches on the sidewalk while I walk home from work....I HATE critters!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. bahahahahahahahahaah. Why can I just picture this whole scenario like I was there. And your sleep talk hilariousness. I love it and I love you! And I love Bryson's brilliant strategies! He is the man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No no nonononoononooooo! heck no. I would never fall asleep. We have a spider problem here in the Payne home. Sadly for my husband I'm not quite as supportive as you and he is in the war against them alone.

    thanks for letting me creep your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahahahahaha oh my gosh i love this story!! I don't know how I didn't read this sooner!! I can hear your little sleepy voice asking Bryson about the little mouse roaming the house and I can all too vividly imagine Bryson setting up traps EVERYWHERE. and I found a mouse trapped in the little trap at our cabin in NH....oh my goodness. I almost cried...haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha i love you guys and love this movie!

    ReplyDelete