Saturday, April 9, 2011

Staff Led Extra Curricular Activities



Have you ever played the game “Would You Rather…”? Well little known fact about me, it is one of my favorite games and in my opinion one of the most fabulous games ever created. I constantly find myself thinking of new ones, really tricky and twisted ones that are so incredibly difficult that an individual could not possible decipher which option would be worse. Forcing them to quickly weigh their options and spit out an answer that’s hard for them to say let alone fathom. Obviously one would never find themselves having to choose between stabbing themselves in the eye with a fork or cutting their own thumb off with a butter knife…nonetheless I am outrageously intrigued with their answer. I feel like the way that a person answers tells a lot about their personality, the way that they handle pain, and what they value in life.

So late one night I decided to call Bryson into our office for a rousing impromptu game of “Would You Rather”. He finally consented, after first cooking himself a gourmet snack. Everyone needs a gourmet snack at 2:30am right? I was seated in our office chair, he was sitting on the floor beneath me. I pulled up the list of 100 would you rather questions. I instructed him to ask me the first 50 and then I would ask him the second set of 50. And so it begins…

Bryson: “Would you rather get a knee in the face or be head butted?”

Katie: “Easy Knee in the face”

Bryson: “Would you rather have x-ray vision or bionic hearing?”

Katie: “Bionic Hearing”

Bryson: “Would you rather eat a hand full of hair or lick three public telephones?”

Katie: “Lick three telephones”

And that’s how it went for 50 questions….smooth sailing. Quick answers. All 50 questions, with clarification or time for shock and awe depending on my answer, took a grand total of 15 minutes. Then it was my turn to ask Bryson…

Katie: “Okay here we go just give me the first answer that comes…”

Katie: ”Would you rather make headlines for saving someone’s life or win the Pulitzer Prize?”

Bryson: “………………………………uhm I would do both. I’d save someone’s life and then write a book about it”

Katie: “…no sweetie you can’t do that you have to choose one, just one...”

Bryson: “Well if I can do both then I would…”

Katie: “Let’s just try a new question, more basic not as much of a thinker…would you rather be 3 feet tall or 8 feet tall?”

Bryson: “Am I athletic?”

Katie: “What? Bryson I have no idea….what?”

Bryson: “Well that makes a difference because if I’m an athletic 8 foot tall person, hell yeah I would be in the NBA so I would chose that”

Katie: “Fine you can be athletic…next question…basic….would you rather pick black or white?”

Bryson: “would I rather pick what in black or white?”

Katie: “the color, like just the color”

Bryson: “What shades are we talking about here….?”

Katie: “…………….and I am going to bed now. I love you, ponder that tonight.”

And you know what guests and visitors….he did. I awoke in the morning and was enjoying my usual bowl of cereal, had completely forgotten about the game, when suddenly Bryson enters, perfect little kink in his morning hair, deep voice, and a pillow crease on his cheek and the following conversation takes place…

Bryson: “Black”

Katie: “What?”

Bryson: “My answer….black or white….I chose black”

Katie: “Why did you choose black?”

Bryson: “Because remember that black suit that I have with the pin stripes….it is so sick”.

Katie: “……………”

And that sweet tender response taught me three things: 1. He never stops thinking about dress clothes 2. To be wise when playing would you rather with him and 3. That he always listens to me and never ceases to provide me with thoughtfulness, attention to detail, and humor.

I hope you enjoyed your stay, it’s good to have you with us, even if it’s just for the day.

4 comments:

  1. >LOVE reading about your life!


    P.s. My mom has had a fork dropped in her eye....dont worry, she is not completely blind and she is still beautiful in every way.no one would ever notice...

    I love playing that game... I have a friend, a recent national track champion... His friends just to always kid "would you be my friend if I were an amputee" Lo and behold,,,,, he had a horrible accident....where he should not have lived and only lost his leg... He is so funny... he jokes about it all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lets play this game next time we are together! Which just so happens to be on Tuesday. I agree with Jenny, I love reading your posts, they are so wonderful. We should plan our picture day for a Saturday or something, sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am the WORST at this game! i always want to come up with the most bizarre, thought invoking questions and I always say something totally lame like "would you rather eat chocolate pudding or poo?". I mean, really....I need coaching from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. um- did you marry brandon?
    no offense bryson.

    ReplyDelete